Professor Susan Short – Group Leader
Professor Susan Short
Professor of Clinical Oncology and Neuro-Oncology
Head of Section of Brain Tumour Research
Group Leader: Radiation Biology and Therapy
Leeds Institute of Cancer and Pathology
Wellcome Trust Brenner Building
St James’s University Hospital
LS9 7TF, Leeds
tel: +44 (0) 113 343 8434
Prof Short is a clinical oncologist with a specialist research interest in treating adults with primary brain tumours. She trained at King’s College London and took up a post as Senior Lecturer at University College London in 2004, where she ran a translational research group as CRUK Clinician Scientist and Senior Fellow. She moved to Leeds in 2012 as professor of Clinical Oncology and Neuro-Oncology and currently leads the brain cancer research section at Leeds Institute of Cancer and Pathology.
Prof Short’s major research interests are in optimization of radiotherapy for patients with gliomas, particularly through improved understanding of mechanisms of radioresistance in stem cell populations. Her current work is funded through MRC, CRUK, The Brain Tumour Charity, BTRS and PPR Foundation and also includes projects investigating the use of micro-RNAs as biomarkers and targets and investigation of novel and re-purposed drugs as cytotoxics in glioma.
Prof Short has major collaborations with other Group leaders in LICAP with joint projects in glioma tumour vasculature and migration (Georgia Mavria), stem cell biology (Heiko Wurdak), glioma genomics (Lucy Stead) and immunology (Graham Cook). Significant external collaborations include researchers at The Institute of Cancer Research (Alan Melcher), University of Glasgow (Anthony Chalmers), Brigham Women’s Hospital and The University of Harvard (Sean Lawler) and The University of Hamburg (Malte Kriegs) amongst others. She is a member of the EU INSERT consortium investigating novel imaging technology applied to glioma patients.
Prof Short runs a portfolio of clinical studies for patients with brain tumours including early phase studies investigating the use of oncolytic viruses as immune adjuvants and the activity of inhibitors of DNA repair and autophagy as radiation and chemotherapy sensitisers.
- Head of Section of Brain Tumour Research, LICAP
- Council member, British Neuro Oncology Society
- Work Stream 1 Chair, Translational Radiotherapy Research Group
- Co-Chair, Translational funding committee Institute du Cancer National, France
- Panel member, Specialist Commissioning Group for proton treatment
- Trustee, the Cyclotron Trust
- H King, H Payne , A Wright T Brend, K Patel, T Englu, L Stead, A Patel, H Wurdak, SC Short. Rad51 is a selective DNA repair target to radiosensitise glioma stem cells. Stem Cell Reports. Available online Jan 2017.
- Guillotin, D., Austin, P., Begum, R., Freitas, M. O., Merve, A., Brend, T., . . . Martin, S. A. (n.d.). Drug-repositioning screens identify Triamterene as a selective drug for the treatment of DNA Mismatch Repair deficient cells.. Clinical Cancer Research. doi:1158/1078-0432.CCR-16-1216
- Hutton, B. F., Occhipinti, M., Kuehne, A., Máthé, D., Waiczies, H., Erlandsson, K., . . . Fiorini, C. (n.d.). Development of clinical simultaneous SPECT/MRI.. Br J Radiol, 20160690. doi:1259/bjr.20160690
- Oehlke, O., Mix, M., Graf, E., Schimek-Jasch, T., Nestle, U., Götz, I., . . . Grosu, A. -L. (2016). Amino-acid PET versus MRI guided re-irradiation in patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme (GLIAA) – protocol of a randomized phase II trial (NOA 10/ARO 2013-1). BMC Cancer, 16. doi:1186/s12885-016-2806-z
- Hayes, J., Thygesen, H., Gregory, W., Westhead, D. R., French, P. J., Van Den Bent, M. J., . . . Short, S. C. (2016). A validated microRNA profile with predictive potential in glioblastoma patients treated with bevacizumab. Molecular Oncology, 10(8), 1296-1304. doi:1016/j.molonc.2016.06.004
- Short, S. C. (2016). Science in Focus: MicroRNA in Glioma – Potential as Biomarkers and Therapeutic Targets. Clinical Oncology, 28(9), 543-546. doi:1016/j.clon.2016.04.048
- Yahyanejad, S., King, H., Iglesias, V. S., Granton, P. V., Barbeau, L. M. O., Van Hoof, S. J., . . . Vooijs, M. (2016). NOTCH blockade combined with radiation therapy and temozolomide prolongs survival of orthotopic glioblastoma.. Oncotarget, 7(27), 41251-41264. doi:18632/oncotarget.9275
- Cockle, J. V., Rajani, K., Zaidi, S., Kottke, T., Thompson, J., Diaz, R. M., . . . Vile, R. (2016). Combination viroimmunotherapy with checkpoint inhibition to treat glioma, based on location-specific tumor profiling. Neuro-Oncology, 18(4), 518-527. doi:1093/neuonc/nov173
- Niyazi, M., Brada, M., Chalmers, A. J., Combs, S. E., Erridge, S. C., Fiorentino, A., . . . Belka, C. (2016). ESTRO-ACROP guideline “target delineation of glioblastomas”. RADIOTHERAPY AND ONCOLOGY, 118(1), 35-42. doi:1016/j.radonc.2015.12.003
- Laycock, S. D., Hulse, M., Scrase, C. D., Tam, M. D., Isherwood, S., Mortimore, D. B., . . . Bell, G. D. (2015). Towards the production of radiotherapy treatment shells on 3D printers using data derived from DICOM CT and MRI: preclinical feasibility studies. Journal of Radiotherapy in Practice, 14(01), 92-98. doi:1017/S1460396914000326
- Hayes, J., Thygesen, H., Tumilson, C., Droop, A., Boissinot, M., Hughes, T. A., . . . Lawler, S. E. (2015). Prediction of clinical outcome in glioblastoma using a biologically relevant nine-microRNA signature. Molecular Oncology, 9(3), 704-714. doi:1016/j.molonc.2014.11.004
- Cockle, J. V., Picton, S., Levesley, J., Ilett, E., Carcaboso, A. M., Short, S., . . . Brüning-Richardson, A. (2015). Cell migration in paediatric glioma; characterisation and potential therapeutic targeting. British Journal of Cancer, 112(4), 693-703. doi:1038/bjc.2015.16
- Gurung, P. M. S., Veerakumarasivam, A., Williamson, M., Counsell, N., Douglas, J., Tan, W. S., . . . Kelly, J. D. (2015). Loss of expression of the tumour suppressor gene AIMP3 predicts survival following radiotherapy in muscle-invasive bladder cancer. International Journal of Cancer, 136(3), 709-720. doi:1002/ijc.29022
- Kyriakakis, N., Lynch, J., Orme, S. M., Gerrard, G., Hatfield, P., Loughrey, C., . . . Murray, R. D. (2016). Pituitary dysfunction following cranial radiotherapy for adult-onset nonpituitary brain tumours. CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGY, 84(3), 372-379. doi:1111/cen.12969
- Cheng, V., Esteves, F., Chakrabarty, A., Cockle, J., Short, S., & Brüning-Richardson, A. (2015). High-content analysis of tumour cell invasion in three-dimensional spheroid assays. Oncoscience, 2(6), 596-606. doi:18632/oncoscience.171
- Aggarwal, A., Herz, N., Campbell, P., Arkush, L., Short, S., & Rees, J. (2015). Diagnostic delay and survival in high-grade gliomas – evidence of the ‘waiting time paradox’?. BRITISH JOURNAL OF NEUROSURGERY, 29(4), 520-523. doi:3109/02688697.2015.1012050