Dr Anke Brüning-Richardson – Senior Research Fellow
Dr Anke Brüning-Richardson
Senior Research Fellow
Leeds Institute of Cancer and Pathology
Wellcome Trust Brenner Building
St James University Hospital
tel: 0113 343 7853
- FHEA (Fellow of the Higher Education Academy). 2016.
- PhD Parasitology. Imperial College London. 1994.
- BSc (Hons). Biology. 2.1 , Imperial College London, 1990
My research focuses on mechanisms of cell migration and targeting the migratory/invasive behavior of cancer cells. Currently funded by the PPR Foundation to research cell migration in Glioblastoma multiforme, the most aggressive form of malignant primary brain tumours, my research includes large scale drug screens of novel therapeutics targeting Glycogen synthase kinase 3 (GSK-3) and determining the mechanisms of drug activity on cell migration. This involves the application of various cell-biology based techniques including live cell imaging. I am also interested in the role of receptor signaling and epigenetics in glioma cell migration. Current research has focused on the role of FGFR1 signalling in paediatric gliomas and the effect of the HDAC inhibitor MI-192 on cell migration and differentiation in adult and paediatric gliomas.
I am also interested in the advancement and development of diagnostic tests and therapeutic agents in the veterinary and medical field. This has led to the development of rapid diagnostic strip-tests for the pen-side diagnosis of viral infections of veterinary importance. I developed the commercially available rinderpest detection test (Svanova Biotech AB product RPV-Ag 10-4300-13), which played an integral part in the global rinderpest eradication, and participated in the development of the commercially available foot and mouth disease test.
I am actively involved in public engagement activities. I am a Leeds Champion of Public Engagement (pepNet) and have won several public engagement awards and grants.
I am academic co-lead for the Extended Student-led Research and Evaluation project (ESREP) module, an integral part of the MBChB Medicine undergraduate course at the University of Leeds. I am also course supervisor for RESS-1SSP (first year medical degree) research projects.
Recent winners of bursary awards for student presentation at national conferences include:
- Naomi Egbivwie (MRes) (BNOS 2017)
- Emmanuel Ago and Lara Jackman (ESREP) (BNOS 2017)
- Nicholas Radcliffe (ESREP) (BNOS 2016).
- Levesley, J., Steele, L., Brüning-Richardson, A., Davison, A., Zhou, J., Lawler, S., Short, S.C.(2017). Selective inhibition of BCL-XL increases sensitivity of paediatric brain tumour cells to MLN8237. Neuro-Oncology (in press).
- Levesley, J., Steele, L, Brüning-Richardson, A., Davison, A., Zhou, J, Lawler, S., Short, S. (2017). Selective inhibition of BCL-XL increases sensitivity of pediatric tumour models to the anti-mitotic agent MLN8237. Neuro-oncology 19, suppl 3, iii94. Conference paper.
- Bhandal, S., Radcliffe, N., Esteves, F., Morton, R., Grigg, R., Boissinot, M., Short, S., Brüning-Richardson, A. (2017).Targeting glioma migration with the histone deacetylase inhibitor MI192. Neuro-oncology 19, suppl 1, i12. Conference paper.
- Taylor, S., Ladbury, J., Short, S., Brüning-Richardson, A. (2017). ARHGAP gene expression in established glioma cell lines and glioma tumour samples and their association with cell migration. Neuro-oncology 19, suppl 1, i6. Conference paper.
- Egnuni, T., Grant, M., Brüning-Richardson, A., Speirs, V., Chakrabarty, A., Wurdak, H., Lorger, M., Short, S., Mavria, G. (2017). Rho GTPase signalling in cancer cell invasion and angiogenesis in brain tumours. Neuro-oncology, suppl 1, i5. Conference paper.
- Cockle, J.V., Brüning-Richardson, A., Scott, K., Thompson, J., Kottke, T., Morrison, E., Ismail, A., Carcaboso, A., Rose, A., Selby, P., Conner, J., Picton, S., Short, S., Vile, R., Melcher, A., Ilett, E. (2017). Oncolytic Herpes Simplex Virus inhibits paediatric brain tumour migration and invasion. Molecular Therapy: Oncolytics doi: 10.1016/j.omto.2017.04.002.
- Cockle, J.V., Ilett, E., Brüning-Richardson, A., Selby, P., Thompson, J., Kottke, T., Scott, K., Morrison, E., Ismail, A., Rose, A., Picton, S., Vile, R., Short, S., Melcher, A. (2016). Oncolytic Herpes Simplex virus: An anti-invasive therapeutic strategy for paediatric high grade glioma and diffuse pontine glioma. Neuro-oncology 18, suppl 3 49 – 49. Conference paper.
- Cheng, V., Esteves, F., Chakrabarty, A., Cockle, J.V., Short, C*, Brüning-Richardson, A.* (2015). Novel immunohistochemical methodology for the investigation of stem-cell like subpopulations in glioma spheroids and migratory cells. Neuro-oncology 17, suppl VIII3.3-VIII3. Conference paper.
- Cheng, V., Esteves, F., Chakrabarty, , Cockle, J.V., Short, S.C, Brüning-Richardson, A. (2015). High-content analysis of tumour cell invasion in three-dimensional spheroid assays. Oncoscience 2 (6), 596-606.
- Cockle, J.V, Picton, S., Levesley, J., Ilett, E., Carcaboso, A.M., Short, S.C., Melcher, A., Lawler, S.E., Brüning-Richardson, A. (2015). Cell migration in paediatric glioma; Characterisation and potential therapeutic targeting. British Journal of Cancer. 112(4), 693-7.
- Brüning-Richardson, A., Roberts, N., Crellin, D., Treanor, T. Short, S., (2014). High resolution three-dimensional histological reconstruction of glioma spheroids and application in research. Neuro-oncology 16, 139-140. Conference paper.
- Tams, D.M, Murray, C., Barry, S.T., Lawler , S.E., Brüning-Richardson, A., Short, S. (2014). Glycogen synthase kinase inhibitors reduce 3D migration of patient derived Glioblastoma multiforme stem cells. Neuro-oncology 16, suppl 6. Conference paper.
- Cockle, J., Ilett, E., Scott, K., Brüning-Richardson, A., Picton, S., Short, S., Melcher, A. (2014) Oncolytic virotherapy for paediatric high grade glioma; evaluation of the effects of oncolytic virus on cell viability, migration and invasion, Neuro-oncology 16, suppl 173 – 173. Conference paper.
- Alsiary R., Brüning-Richardson*, A., Bond, J., Morrison, E.E., Wilkinson, N., Bell, S. (2014). Deregulation of Microcephalin and ASPM expression are correlated with epithelial ovarian cancer progression. PloSOne 9(5), e97059. * Joint first.
- Shaw, A.E., Brüning-Richardson, A., Morrison, E.E., Bond, J., Simpson, J., Ross-Smith, N., Alpar, O., Mertens, P.C., Monaghan, P. (2013). Bluetongue virus infection induces aberrant mitosis in mammalian cells. Virology Journal, 10, 319.
- Cockle, J.V., Brüning-Richardson, A., Picton, S., Levesley, J., Ilett, E., Short, S., Melcher, A., Lawler, S. (2013). Cell migration in paediatric glioma; characterisation and potential therapeutic targeting. Proceedings of the 4th Quadrennial Meeting of the World Federation of Neuro-Oncology. Neuro-oncology 15, suppl 42 – 42. Conference paper.
- Brüning-Richardson, A., Bond, , Richardson, J., Alsiary, R., Cairns, D.A., McCormack, L., Hutson, R., Wilkinson, N., Hall, G., Morrison, E.E., Bell, S.M. (2012). NuMA overexpression in epithelial ovarian cancer. PLoS One 7(6), e38945.
- Brüning-Richardson A., Barrett, T., Garratt, J.C., Anderson, J. (2011). The detection of rinderpest virus RNA extracted from a rapid chromatographic strip-test by RT-PCR.Journal of Virological Methods 173(2):394-8. Epub 2011 Feb 23.
- Brüning-Richardson, A., Akerblom, L., Klingeborn, B., Anderson, J. (2011). Improvement and development of rapid chromatographic strip-tests for the diagnosis of rinderpest and peste des petits ruminants viruses.Journal of Virological Methods 174(1-2):42-6. Epub 2011 Mar 17.
- Brüning-Richardson, A., Bond, J., Alsiary, R., Richardson, J., Cairns, D.A., McCormack, L., Hutson, R., Burns, P., Wilkinson, N., Hall, G.D., Morrison, E.E., Bell, S.M. (2011). ASPM and microcephalin expression in epithelial ovarian cancer correlates with tumour grade and survival.British Journal of Cancer 10;104(10):1602-10. Epub 2011 Apr 19.
- Brüning-Richardson, A., Langford, K. Ruane, P., Lee, T., Askham, J.M., Morrison, E.E. (2011). EB1 is required for spindle symmetry in mammalian mitosis. PLoS ONE 6(12), e28884.
- Lee, T., Langford, K.J., Askham, J.M., Brüning-Richardson, A., Morrison, E.E. (2008). MCAK associates with EB1. Oncogene 27(17):2494-2500.
- Reid, S.M., Ferris, N.P., Brüning, A., Kowalska, Z., Akerblom, L. (2001). Development of a rapid chromatographic striptest for the penside detection of foot and mouth disease virus antigen. Journal of Virological Methods 96 (2), 189-202.
- Wambura, P.N., Moshy, D.W., Mbise, A.N., Mollel, G.O., Taylor, W.P., Brüning, A. (2000). Diagnosis of rinderpest by a rapid chromatographic striptest. Tropical Animal Health and Production 32 (3), 141-145.
- Brüning, A., Bellamy, K., Talbot, D., Anderson, J. (1999). A rapid chromatographic striptest for the detection of Rinderpest virus. Journal of Virological Methods 81 (1-2), 143-151.
- Brüning, A., Phipps, P., Posnett, E., Canning, E. (1997). Monoclonal antibodies against Babesia caballi and Babesia equi and their application in serodiagnosis. Veterinary Parasitology 86, 11-26.
- Nanda, Y.P., Chatterjee, A., Purohit, A.K., Diallo, A., Innui, K., Sharma, R.N., Libeau, G., Thevasagayam, J.A., Brüning, A., Kitching, R.P., Anderson, J., Barrett, T., Taylor, W. (1996). The isolation of peste des petits ruminants virus from northern India. Veterinary Microbiology 51, 207-216.
Book chapters and reviews
- Brüning, A. (1999). Application of monoclonal antibodies to the characterisation and improved serodiagnosis of equine Babesias. In: Equine Infectious Diseases VIII, eds. Wernery, U., Wade, J.F., Mumford, J.A. and Kaaden, O.R., R&W Publications.
- Brüning-Richardson, A., McConkey G.A. (2004). RNAi in the malaria parasite In: Gene Silencing by RNA Interference: Technology and Application, ed. Sohail, M., CRC Press, Chapter 16.
- Brüning-Richardson, A., Morrison, E.E. The adenomatous polyposis coli tumour suppressor protein and microtubule dynamics. (2007). Current Colorectal Cancer Reports 3:82-86.
- Brüning-Richardson, A., Banyard, A. Invited book chapter 6 “Pathobiology and diagnosis of rinderpest” in “Mononegavirales of Veterinary Importance: Pathobiology and Diagnosis”, CABI, November 2013.
- Banyard, C. A., Brüning-Richardson, A., Parida, S. Invited book chapter 62: “Rinderpest virus” in “MANUAL OF SECURITY SENSITIVE MICROBES AND TOXINS”, Taylor and Francis CRC, April 2014.
- Brüning-Richardson, A. Chapter 56 Rinderpest Virus. Invited book chapter in: “Molecular detection of animal viral pathogens”. Taylor and Francis CRC Press. Published May 2016.
- Brüning-Richardson, A., Banyard, A., Parida, S. Invited book chapter “Contribution of Epidemiological Knowledge and Control Strategies in the Eradication of Rinderpest Virus” in Mononegaviruses of Veterinary Importance Vol II: Molecular Epidemiology and Control, CABI. Published Winter 2016.